1.15.2008

Asian Chicken Stirfry over Cous Cous

This is just a lot of what I had on hand for dinner tonight. And honestly, I know I don't make stir fry the right way, but this seems to work for me. It's easy and if I do say so myself -- it came out QUITE yummy! I first made up the stirfry with just 1 cup of cous cous thinking I'd only get 3 servings out of it -- but it was more than enough for 5! That brought the points down a bit and it's still very filling. Feel free to use whatever veggies you have on hand. But the water chestnuts are a must -- the crunchy texture is such a treat!!

Servings: 5
Points: 4

Ingredients:
Pam or other non stick cooking spray
1 onion, sliced
10 baby carrots, sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
1/2 cup asparagus, cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 can (the small cans, maybe 1/4 cup total?) water chestnuts, drained
1/2 can (same as above) bamboo shoots, drained
4 oz chicken, cooked (I used rotisserie chicken)
1/2 cup canned pineapple chunks (drained)
1/4 cup cashews, chopped
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup water
2 cups cous cous

Directions:
Chop all vegetables and cook chicken (if needed). Spray large pan with non stick cooking spray. Over medium heat cook onions and carrots about 2 minutes. Add peppers and asparagus and some soy sauce (I sort of eyed it and put some in) and about 1/4 cup water so nothing gets burnt. Cook another 2 or 3 minutes. And let some of the water cook off. Add water chestnuts and bamboo shoots. Add more soy sauce if needed. Cover and simmer while you get the cous cous ready. Prepare 2 cups of cous cous according to package direction. I also added a little soy sauce to the water for the cous cous.

Right before you are ready to serve mix in the pineapple and cashews just long enough for the pineapple to heat through. Serve stirfry over cous cous and enjoy!

No comments: