8.09.2008

Faux Egg McMuffin

I've been trying to pack in a bit more protein in my diet. My trainer and a few people I work with have finally broken me down and I bought some protein powder. It's horrid. And 3 points. But sure does pack in the protein. So on days when I'm going more vegetarian I make sure to keep some points for that.

BUT I've also been looking for yummier ways to incorporate it (protein, not the nasty powder) into my diet. Here's my new favorite.

1 Thomas' light english muffin
1/4 cup egg beaters cooked up with some salt and pepper
1/2 piece of either light kraft singles or ww singles
1 morning star farms veggie sausage patty

Throw them together and you've got a dead on sausage egg mcmuffin! Granted it's still no bacon egg and cheese biscuit, but I'll take what I can get! It's scrumptious and using the 1/2 piece of cheese brings the points to only 4. And it's got about 15 grams of protein or so (if not more!)

I'm hooked. I cook it up and eat it on my way into work. I was a bit skeptical of the 'veggie' sausage but in the sandwich it tastes like the real stuff. I haven't had it alone yet so I'm not sure how similar it is that way. But certainly worth a try.

I was feeling lazy tonight and didn't want to cook... so I made that for dinner! Mmmm.

2 comments:

Princess Dieter aka Mir said...

I make a variation of this at my house, have for years, and it's one of my fave breakfasts! I call it an Egg McMirfin (My real life name got stuck in there.)

I use either a Thomas' lite or WW muffin, the Kraft 2% American slice, and egg beaters or one to two real eggs, and a slice of Canadian or lean ham on top.

Love it!

I keep Protein Powders on hand. I like Designer Whey (taste so much better than Myoplex and others I've tried) and teh Melaleuca Double Chocolate one is yummy. They run about 2 points for the designer whey, one scoop, and the same for the Meleuca (if I use one scoop, which is half teh serving.) That gives 15 to 18 grams of protein. And Designer Whey is LOW CARB, which is nice. I also like the EAS chocolate fudge shake (the low carb, ADVANTAGE) one, cause it reminds me of YooHoo. It's less tasty than the previous ones I mentioned, but come in containers you can put in the fridge and chill.

The new Vivanno smoothies at Starbucks are a a great way to get a bunch of protein after a workout--and it's 4 points with non-fat milk. But it's essentially a mini-meal (protein, fruit, calcium).

But those homemade McMuffins are so much better than the McD's one (more fiber and less fat, too).

The Princess

fittingbackin said...

Hi! I just came across your blog and this post made me laugh - I eat this almost every morning - love it! Only differences: I use a regular egg, I add tony's creole seasoning and a splash of milk to my eggs before cooking and I forgo the cheese. I just can't tase it. :( Anyway - too funny - YUM! My new favorite is: 1 egg, 1/4 cup eggbeaters, the butterball reduced fat turkey bacon (1-2 slices) and a morningstar patty. I just chop it all up in pieces and toss it in the cooked egg (add creole). While it's cooking i heat up a low carb/low fat flour tortilla in the oven. Then i just drop the mixture on the tortilla, add a little salt/pepper, wrap it up and cut it in half - YUM!