5.16.2008

The Philly in Me

I'm from Philly. Ok, I'm not really from Philly, I'm from 'just outside' of Philly. As in it takes me 10-15 minutes to get to Center City from the house I grew up in. While I don't like Philly Cheesesteaks (though I do love a chicken cheese steak... mmm) I have a small obsession with soft pretzels. And I'm not talking Super Pretzels that you buy in the frozen food section. I'm talking real, authentic Philly pretzels. The ones that are sold in 3's, and are long and skinny and connected to one another.

So living in Charlotte has been rough when my pretzel cravings kick in. Because the best pretzel I've come across here is a super pretzel... which is good, but it's not as good as the real thing. It's like having a veggie burger when you're craving a real burger. It's not horrible, but it's certainly no juicy burger.

So I'm reading this magazine...


It wasn't amazing, but it wasn't bad either. One of the girls I worked with brought in in for me because they had a whole section on training for a tri. It was helpful. But I'm 3 pages from the end of the magazine and what do I see??

This:

Oh my goodness... I drooled on the page. THOSE are real Philly pretzels. And I want one. Badly. And I cannot have one here in Charlotte. Because, well they just don't exist.

It's quite tragic. I guess I'll be popping a Super Pretzel in the oven tonight in the hopes of squelching my craving. Sigh.

1 comment:

Fatinah said...

I'm guessing the gal on the cover of the magazine doesn't eat those!!! I can relate to your thing with the pretzels - I feel the same way about Poutine - the part of Canada that I live in can not only NOT make it properly - I have yet to run into a person that can SAY it properly!! Oh, and I don't thing the cover girl eats poutine either!! ;-)